Things You Need to Understand Before Becoming an Owner-Operator Truck Driver
The idea of owning your own truck can be exciting and incredible. It can also be very rewarding, both financially and personally. However, before you decide to dive in and start looking for owner-operator jobs, there are some important things that you are going to need to know.
* Cost-per-mile is extremely important. In fact, it has everything to do with your success. Make sure that you fully understand the cost per mile before you take on any jobs.
* Truck and trailer maintenance is crucial to your success. If your truck and trailer aren’t properly maintained, you won’t have a dependable rig to get the job done.
* You’ll need to have the right type of insurance. If you don’t have your rig properly insured, you could stand to lose everything.
* Fuel tax laws, both federal and state, are very important as an owner-operator.
* The fuel efficiency of your rig is also extremely important. Fuel efficiency has a lot to do with the bottom line of your success.
* You need to have experience. You can’t just get your CDL and become an owner-operator. It’s something you have to build up to.
Becoming an owner-operator truck driver can be a very worthwhile career; however, before you decide to make the change, you have to make sure you fully understand what it takes to be successful.